For consumers looking for a prepaid card option outside the traditional banking system, the Brink’s Prepaid Mastercard provides versatile features for everyday spending and transactions. With no credit check or bank account required for approval, the Brink’s card gives you access to convenient digital banking capabilities.
In this post, we’ll explore the key details of the Brink’s Prepaid Mastercard including how it works, associated fees, capabilities, and who it may be suitable for as an alternative to standard deposit accounts.
How the Brink’s Prepaid Card Works
The Brinks Money Prepaid Mastercard functions like a prepaid debit card. To get started, customers must purchase the prepaid card in stores for a one-time fee and complete an online cardholder registration.
Then funds can be loaded or “value loaded” onto the card by the cardholder at participating retailers, using direct deposit, or transferring from an existing bank account via the website or mobile app.
The card can then be used to make purchases anywhere Mastercard debit cards are accepted – including online, in stores, over the phone, etc. When making a purchase, the transaction amount is automatically deducted from the available balance loaded onto the card. There are also ATM withdrawal capabilities available.
As a prepaid card, features like overdraft fees, minimum balance fees, and interest do not apply. The funds stay FDIC insured as long as the card account remains valid and activated under the cardholder’s ownership. The card account also allows cardholders to track balances and transactions via the website or mobile app.
Some key advantages for customers include flexibility and security. Since it isn’t linked to a bank account, the prepaid card allows for easier budgeting, security when shopping online, and accessibility for those who don’t qualify for credit cards or bank accounts.
Here’s an overview of how it works:
- Purchase a Brink’s card for $9.95 from their website or participating retailers
- Activate the card and register for online/mobile access
- Load funds to your card via direct deposit, cash reload, bank transfer, etc.
- Use your virtual or physical Brink’s card to spend your loaded balance anywhere Mastercard is accepted
- Manage your account via web or mobile app
It provides the spending convenience of a debit card without requiring a bank account relationship. Your funds are FDIC insured for security.
With your Brink’s Prepaid Mastercard, you can:
- Shop online, in stores, and over the phone
- Get cash back at retailers when making purchases
- Pay bills online or by phone
- Access cash at ATMs
- Send and receive money digitally
- Earn cash back rewards on eligible purchases
- Deposit checks directly using your phone
- Set up account alerts to monitor activity
It provides versatile access to your prepaid balance from anywhere with digital banking features.
Fees to Be Aware Of
While cheaper than high bank fees, using the Brink’s Prepaid Mastercard does incur the following costs:
- $9.95 purchase price for new card account kit
- $5.95 per month service fee
- $2.50 for each ATM withdrawal in the U.S.
- $1.50 per out-of-network ATM balance inquiry
- 3% of the transaction amount for international use
- $1.50 per in-network ATM decline
Some ways to mitigate fees include setting up direct deposit to waive the monthly fee and using in-network ATMs whenever possible. But factor the charges into your budget if using as your primary spending tool.
How much money can you put on a Brinks prepaid card?
The maximum amount that can be loaded onto a Brinks Money prepaid card is $15,000. Here are some of the loading limits:
- PIN/Signature Purchase Transactions: $5,000
- Value Loads at POS Locations: $7,500
- Maximum Card Account Value: $15,000
What bank owns Brinks prepaid Mastercard?
The Brinks Money Prepaid Mastercard is issued by Republic Bank & Trust Company, which is an FDIC insured bank based in Louisville, Kentucky. Republic Bank & Trust Company issues the card pursuant to a license from Mastercard.
Can I deposit a check on my Brinks prepaid card?
Yes, Brinks prepaid cardholders can deposit checks right from their smartphone using the Brink’s Money Mobile Banking app. The app uses a service called Ingo Money to review and approve checks for funding to be added to the card account.
Who Might the Brink’s Card Benefit?
The Brink’s Prepaid card can be useful for:
- Those unable to open a traditional checking account
- Students looking for a way to manage spending
- People needing an account for stipends or government benefits
- Immigrants new to the U.S. financial system
- Anyone seeking fee transparency and overdraft avoidance
- Those looking for a secondary account option
For people outside the traditional banking system, it provides accessible prepaid capabilities.
How to Get the Brink’s Prepaid Card
If you decide the Brink’s Prepaid Mastercard is right for your needs, obtaining a card account is straightforward:
- Visit the Brink’s Prepaid website and click “Get Your Card”
- Choose which card kit you want to purchase – options include monthly fee or pay-as-you-go
- Enter your personal details to set up the card account
- Select add-on services like roadside assistance if desired
- Provide shipping details for delivery of your card kit
- Pay the purchase fee (typically $9.95) for the physical card and materials
- Your Brink’s Prepaid card will arrive by mail within 5-7 business days
Once the card kit is delivered. Follow the instructions to activate your card and set up online or mobile access. You can then start adding funds and using your Brink’s Prepaid Mastercard. Be sure to have funds available to load so your card is ready for immediate use after activation.
Tips to Activate The Card
Activating your Brinks Money prepaid Mastercard is an important first step before you can begin using the card. After purchasing your prepaid card, locate the card number and security code printed on the back.
Call the Brinks activation phone number (1-877-469-1990) and follow the prompts to activate your physical card.
You will need to provide some personal information like your home address, date of birth, and Social Security Number during the automated activation process for identity verification.
How to Register For Online/Mobile Access
Once your prepaid card is active, go to www.brinksprepaidmastercard.com or download the Brinks Money mobile app and click on “Register”.
Here you can set up online or mobile access to manage your card digitally going forward. Online card registration requires that you input your card information and create login credentials that you will use to check your balance, review transaction history, transfer funds, deposit checks, set up text/email notifications, and more.
Registering for online and mobile app access enables convenient, secure access to your prepaid account details any time through Brinks Money’s digital platforms.
For consumers in need of a prepaid card account, the Brink’s Mastercard provides versatile access to your funds without a credit check or bank account. But weigh the monthly fees and charges for services like ATM withdrawals and mobile check loading depending on your usage.