Are you seriously looking for a credit card that offers you the best of the best? Then you should consider Virgin Credit Cards. They are affiliated with the Virgin Atlantic frequent flyer program so you can earn miles you can redeem for Virgin Atlantic flights.
The cards tend to offer better rewards value if you frequently fly with Virgin Atlantic. But they also have transfer partners so you can transfer miles to other airline and hotel loyalty schemes.
What Virgin cards offers:
- The chance to earn Virgin Atlantic miles
- No foreign transaction fees
- Airline fee credits
- Anniversary bonuses
The no annual fee Virgin Atlantic card still offers decent earnings.
Virgin Atlantic Credit Card
With this card you’ll earn:
- 3 miles per $1 spent directly with Virgin Atlantic
- 1.5 miles per $1 spent on everything else
- A lot of bonus miles after spending $1,000 in the first 90 days
You can redeem this companion ticket to bring someone with you on an award flight for just taxes and fees. This is valuable since Virgin charges high surcharges and taxes on their award tickets.
Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard
The Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard comes with a higher $90 annual fee. But it ups the rewards earning rates and additional benefits.
- 3 miles per $1 on Virgin Atlantic purchases
- 1.5 miles per $1 on all other purchases
- 80,000 bonus miles after $3,000 spend in 90 days
- Up to 15,000 bonus miles on your cardmember anniversary
Like the no-annual-fee version, you can earn a companion ticket voucher each year you renew the card when you spend $25,000 or more. Except with this premium card, the voucher covers the taxes and fees too.
Extra benefits include more travel protections like trip delay and baggage coverage. There’s also complimentary entry to Virgin Atlantic Clubhouses which is great for relaxing before or between flights. You also get an IAPA membership providing airport lounge access.
Key Features and Benefits
Here are some of the major benefits your Virgin credit card can offer:
- Earn miles on everyday spending for award flights
- Companion tickets help bring someone with you
- Generous sign-up bonuses can give your miles a boost
- Airline fee credits cover costs like checked bags or in-flight WiFi
- Travel protections on delays, cancellations or lost luggage
- Car rental coverage can reimburse for collision damage
- Flexible mile redemption via Virgin or loyalty partners
- Premium flight rewards in Virgin’s Upper Class with bar and bed seats
Be sure to take advantage of cardholder discounts with partners like Hertz and Hilton too. The combination of rewards earning potential and Virgin travel perks make these a great option for jetsetters.
How to Apply for and Activate a Virgin Credit Card
To apply for a Virgin Atlantic credit card through Bank of America’s website, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Virgin Atlantic credit card application page on Bank of America’s website. Make sure to select the correct card option (no annual fee or World Elite Mastercard).
- Provide personal information, including your name, date of birth, address, and Social Security Number, to verify your identity.
- Review the terms and conditions of the offer and submit your application. This will result in a hard credit check.
- Wait for a decision, which may take 1-2 weeks. You will receive a letter indicating whether you have been approved or denied, along with the reasons for the decision.
- If approved, activate your card when it arrives by calling the number on the sticker on your card.
Please note that a hard credit check will be conducted as part of the application process, which may affect your credit score.
That’s the basic process – simply submit an application online, activate via phone when approved, then start spending to earn miles.
Earning and Redeeming Virgin Atlantic Miles
Virgin miles are valuable for premium airplane awards to destinations like London and Tokyo. You can also transfer them 1:1 to airline partners like Delta Air Lines.
You earn 3x miles on Virgin Atlantic purchases and 1.5x miles on other spending. While not the highest rewards rate compared to some travel cards, you can maximize rewards through Virgin Atlantic shopping portals and transferring Amex Membership Rewards over at a 1:1 ratio.
Who Should Get One of the Virgin Credit Cards?
The best candidates for a Virgin Atlantic credit card include:
- Frequent Virgin Atlantic flyers – If you fly to London or beyond often with Virgin, their cards make sense to maximize your rewards.
- Occasional Virgin Flyers – Even flying just once a year, the companion ticket benefits justify getting one.
- Amex Membership Rewards Members – Transfer MR over for the maximum flexibility earning and redeeming miles.
- Anyone wanting lounge access – The World Elite card gets you Virgin Clubhouse and Priority Pass entry.
So whether you only fly Virgin Atlantic periodically or take multiple trips with them yearly, look at their card lineup. See if the rewards and perks make sense for your spending and travel habits.
The Pros of Getting a Virgin Credit Card
Here are some of the top advantages of signing up for Virgin credit cards:
- Earn Virgin Atlantic miles – Great for Virgin or partner award flights
- Redeem miles for premium flights – Access swanky Upper Class seats
- Valuable companion vouchers – Bring someone with you for just taxes
- Airline perks like free checked bags – Save money when flying Virgin
- No foreign transaction fees – Use the card overseas with no extra charges
- Lounge access for the World Elite card – Relax before flights in style
Whether you want to earn miles to splurge on an Upper Class transatlantic flight or take economy trips with a companion, Virgin cards unlock great redemption opportunities.
Potential Downsides to Consider
Before applying, think about a few potential negatives:
- Must fly Virgin Atlantic often – Best rewards if you fly them regularly
- High award flight fees/surcharges – Adds to redemption costs
- Annual fee for World Elite card – $90 a year
- Better lounge access cards exist – For high annual fees
If you rarely take Virgin flights other cards could earn you rewards quicker. And beware high surcharges can cut into award travel savings.
Conclusion on How to Apply for a Virgin Credit Card
Virgin Atlantic credit cards offer a niche rewards program for Virgin loyalists. The opportunity for companion tickets, premium flights, and lounge access is compelling for Virgin flyers.
Consider if the perks and airline miles match your habits before getting a Virgin card. But they offer solid value if Virgin is your airline of choice.