How to customize the Apple Watch Ultra Action Button. You can customize your Apple Watch Ultra with an Action button on the left side of the case that is capable of performing a variety of functions. This article explains what it can do and how you can configure it. Not only does it activate the siren, but the Action Button on Apple Watch Ultra can also be customized to perform several functions, offering quick access to them without you having to tap through various screens.
How to customize the Apple Watch Ultra Action Button
How can I personalize the Apple Watch Ultra Action Button? If you just recently set up your Apple Watch ultra, you’ll be invited to assign one of the following functions to it:
You can still customize your selection further. It depends on the app or function chosen. If you prefer the workout app, for example, pressing the Action button once will open the workout app, but you can also assign the “First Press” function within the app to begin a specific workout.
But there are still more. You can press in to perform a secondary function when you’ve started the activity, such as marking segments or laps in a track workout or switching from cycling to running in a triathlon. Well, the function will depend on the current activity.
How to Map Functions to the Action Button
If you are done setting up your Apple Watch Ultra is set up, you can re-assign functions to the Action button via a new menu right on your wrist, like that.
Step to map functions to the action button
- Turn on your Apple Watch Ultra and launch the Settings app.
- Scroll down a little and click on the Action Button.
- Enter the menu under “Action” and select one of the following options: Stopwatch, Waypoint, Workout, Flashlight, Shortcut, and Dive.
- Click on the arrow in the left-hand corner to go back to the Action Button settings.
- Tap the menu Some actions, like Flashlight, do not display the App option.
- Click on the arrow to go back
- Click on the menu below “first press” when it appears, then select an action. Some features allow different actions to happen on the first and second press of the button.
To explain how the action button works, tips appear on the screen under “Gestures” with the setting that you’ve assigned to it. In more detail, tips for an outdoor walk show you that clicking on the action button once starts a workout and pressing the action button and the side button at the same time pauses the workout.
Configuring the Action Button via the iPhone
With your iOS watch app, you can also configure what the action button on the Apple Watch Ultra does.
- Open the watch app on your iPhone.
- Click the My Watch tab if it’s not already selected.
- Click the action button.
- Below “Action,” enter the currently selected action to change it.
- Choose from one of the following options: Waypoint, Backtrack, Workout, Stopwatch, Dive, Flashlight, or Shortcut.
- Click on the Action button to go back to the previous menu.
- Click the menu under “App” when it appears, then choose an app to act on. You can find some actions not showing the option, such as a flashlight.
- Click on the arrow to move back.
- Tap the menu under “First Press” if it appears, then select an action. Some features allow different actions to happen on the first and second press of the button.
You will get an explanation on the screen below “Gestures” on how the Action button works with the settings that you’ve assigned to it. If you want to pause the current action, you can press and hold both the Action and Side buttons at the same time. Try to avoid pressing the side button or the digital Crown accidentally when you press the action button.
If you happen to press another button at the same time, your Apple watch will do whatever is assigned to the Action button, unless a button combination is configured.
Commonly Asked Questions
How to turn on the Apple Watch Ultra?
If you find out your Apple Watch Ultra is off, press and hold the side button until the Apple logo appears. A black screen may appear for a short time first. Well, the watch face appears when the Apple Watch Ultra is on. At the top right, then slide the Power Off slider to the right.
What can the Apple Watch Ultra do?
The Apple Watch Ultra features all-new apps for scuba and free diving, a redesigned compass, a robust yet lightweight titanium case, Precision Dual-frequency GPS, and up to 36 hours of battery life.
What is the action menu on the Apple Watch?
The action menu is contact-aware, so it changes to show relevant actions based on how you’re using your Apple watch. To use the action menu, perform the hand gesture associated with it (the default is a double clench). Then use gestures to go forward or backward in the list of items.
How do I manually pair my Apple Watch?
Put on your Apple Watch, press and hold the side button until you see the Apple logo. Bring your iPhone near your Apple Watch, and wait for the Apple Watch pairing screen to appear on your iPhone, then tap Pair New Watch.