How to Connect AirPods to Roku TV. Any smart TV that comes with Roku directly baked in is a Roku TV. You can make use of all the functions of a Roku device without the need for any additional hardware. Roku TV allows you to use apps such as Netflix or Disney+ to stream all your favorite shows, and you can also stream live TV through it too.
How to Connect AirPods to Roku TV
If you do not want to disturb others while watching your Roku TV (or your Roku streaming box), you may be wondering if it’s possible to use your Air Pods with your Roku TV If so, read on to learn how to connect Air Pods to Roku TV.
Can you connect AirPods directly to a Roku TV or Roku streaming device?
The short answer is no. It’s not possible to connect any type of Bluetooth headphones directly to a Roku TV, and that includes Air Pods. All is not lost, however, it’s still possible to listen to your Roku TV through your Air Pods. That’s because the Roku app includes a feature called Private Listening.
This allows you to connect headphones to your phone and stream the audio from your Roku TV wirelessly through your phone. If you’ve connected your Air Pods to your iPhone Using the Roku app, it’s as if your AirPods are connected directly to your Roku TV. This should work for both Roku TVs and Roku streaming boxes.
How to Connect Your AirPods to Your iPhone
One of the first things you need to do is connect your AirPods to your iPhone if they’re not already. They won’t show up in the Roku app if you don’t pair your AirPods with your iPhone first.
Steps to connect your AirPods to your iPhone:
- Put your AirPods in the charging case and open the lid.
- Bring your AirPods near your iPhone
- You will see an AirPods animation appear on your iPhone screen. Tap Connect
- Then follow the on-screen instructions for your particular model of AirPods.
- When the process is complete, you’ll see your AirPods and case on your iPhone screen.
- Your AirPods are now connected to your iPhone. They will automatically connect with any other Apple devices that are signed in to the same iCloud account.
That is all you have to do. Follow the information above to connect your AirPods to your iPhone.
How to connect AirPods to Roku TV
If you have connected your AirPods to your iPhone, you can use them to listen to your Roku TV by turning on Private Listening. You will have to install the Roku app on your iPhone if you don’t already have it.
One step to turning on private listening in your Roku app:
- Lunch on the Roku app.
- Click on the remote icon
- In the pop-up message, tap devices.
- Tap “OK” to enable your iPhone to connect to local devices.
- When you see your Roku device in the list, click on it.
- When the connection is complete, tap the remote icon.
- Click the Headphones icon just underneath the main purple button.
- Private Listen is now active. Tap OK to dismiss the message.
- Play some media through your Roku TV and you should hear the audio through your AirPods. No sound will come from your Roku TV whilst you’re in Private Listening mode.
- To turn off private listening, tap the headphones icon again.
Those are the steps to turn on private listening in your Roku app.
Why Can’t I Connect My Roku to the Roku App?
Private listening will only work Is it possible to use the Roku app on your Roku TV? If you’re struggling to do so, here are some possible reasons.
Your Roku TV and your phone are on different Wi-Fi networks.
For Private Listening to work, both your Roku app and your TV must be on the same Wi-Fi network. Step one to see which Wi-Fi network your Roku is connected to:
- Push the Home menu button on your Roku remote.
- Select Settings
- Choose Network and then About.
- You will now see the name of the network you are connected to on the screen.
- Make sure that your phone is on the same Wi-Fi network and try connecting the Roku app again.
Your Phone Is Connected Through a VPN
If you are making use of a VPN on your iPhone, this can stop the Roku app from connecting to your Roku TV.
One step to turning off the VPN on your iPhone
- Open the settings app.
- Toggle VPN to off.
You may have to change the settings of the VPN you’re using to ensure that it doesn’t automatically reconnect. You just have to use any VPN app you have installed on your iPhone.
Your Roku TV is not fully updated.
Your Roku TV or streaming box is designed to update automatically, but if you’ve not used it for a while, it may not have had the chance to update yet. This could cause issues with connecting to the Roku app.
Steps to manually update your Roku TV:
- Press the Home button on your remote.
- Select Settings > System > Software Update.
- Select Check Now to look for any updates. If any are found, they will install automatically.
Follow the instructions above to update your Roku.