Do you want to know how long it takes to charge a car battery? If yes, this article is for you. With a dead car battery, you would not be able to start your car. In this article, you would learn how long it takes to charge a car battery and also how to charge a completely dead car battery. So, kindly read through to the end.
How Long to Charge Car Battery
The battery of a car is one important component required by the car to start. The main purpose of this rechargeable car battery is to supply electric current to the electrical motor which in turn activates the chemically powered internal combustion engine in the car. With this, the car is able to move forward.
While the engine of the car runs, the alternator charges the car battery and also supplies power to the electrical parts such as the radio, Air conditioner, headlamps, etc. It would take about 10-12 hours to completely charge your car battery. But you don’t have to charge it for this long to be able to start your car.
Car batteries could last for years but certain factors could make them run down at times and with this, you should learn how to charge a car battery as a driver.
How to Charge a Completely Dead Car Battery – How To Jump Start Your Car
Is your car battery completely dead? If yes, this article has got you covered. The only way to charge your completely dead battery is by Jump starting the car. Don’t know how to Jumpstart your car? Follow the guide below:
- You would the needing the charged battery of another car.
- Park the car with the charged battery close to your car and turn off the engine.
- Apply the hand brakes in your car and switch the engine off.
- Open the bonnet of your car and locate the Jump start cable with the owner’s manual.
- Open the bonnet of the car with the charged battery.
- Attach the red clamp of the jump start cable to the positive terminal of your car battery.
- Do not allow the clamps of the jump start to come in contact with each other during the connection as this may cause a spark.
- On the negative terminal of your car battery, connect the black clamp of the jump start cable.
- Place the second red clamp of the jump start on the positive terminal of the charged battery.
- Connect the other black clamp of the jump start cable to a metal part in your car (preferable a nut on the engine). You should be careful while carrying out this action.
- Switch on the engine of the car with the charged battery.
- Allow the engine idle for few minutes then switch on the engine of your car.
- Let the engines of both cars run for some minutes.
- Disconnect the jump start cables in the reverse order in which they were connected.
- Allow your car run for a couple of minutes. This would allow the alternator charge the battery sufficiently.
With this, you would be able to revive your dead car battery. There are some factors that leads to the total running down of your car battery. Read on to learn more about this.
What Causes a Dead Car Battery?
Having charged your car battery, you may want to know what causes a dead car battery as this would help you take certain precautions. The causes of a dead car battery include:
- A failure in the charging system and may be due to a bad alternator.
- Leaving the headlamps or internal lights on for a long period of time.
- Old or worn-out car battery.
- Leaving your car parked for a long period of time without letting the engine run for some time.
- Corrosion at the battery terminal.
- Loose connection of the battery terminal.
- Excessive heat. This would cause the electrolytes of the car battery to evaporate leading to a discharge of current.
- Extremely low temperature.
With the list above, you would be able to take necessary precautions. You should ensure you park your car where there is an optimum temperature and also let the engine run for a while even when the car has not been driven for a while.
- Facebook Dating Updates – Facebook Dating Reviews | Facebook Dating Profile
- Facebook Dating Love – Facebook Dating Profile | Facebook Dating App Download
- Dating Link on Facebook – Dating Icon on Facebook | Facebook Dating Reviews
- Is Down Dating Legit – How Does Facebook Dating Work | Facebook Dating not Working
- Update Android Apps – How to Update Android Apps