Do I File a Claim With the other Person’s Insurance?

Do I File a Claim with the other person’s insurance? If you are on the road driving your car, another driver ruins your day. Both of you are fine. You will have to deal with the aftermath of the accident. It’s clear to everyone that was involved in the accident that you are the innocent party in this scenario.

Do I File a Claim With the other Person's Insurance?

Do I File a Claim with the other person’s insurance?

A lot of people have this type of question in mind: “Do I file a claim with the other person’s insurance?” After an auto accident, the first thing you have to do is file an insurance claim for damages. Even if you are not in the course of the damage, you have the option to file a claim. You can either file the claim with your insurance company if you have the appropriate coverage or with the other driver’s insurance company.

This means you can file a claim as the first part if you have the right coverage, and a third-party claim if you are not the party at fault. Insurance laws differ with regard to first and third-party claims, so it is important that you understand your rights and duties in both cases. In a first-party claim, you have a direct contract that requires your insurance company to fulfill all the conditions stated in your policy.

How Much Insurance Must the Other Driver Have?

To cover bodily injury and property damage, Illinois law requires most motorists’ liability insurance to help pay for damages they cause in an auto accident. The minimum amounts drivers are required to carry are 25/50/20: $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident for bodily injury liability, and $20,000 for property damage liability.

What Happens After I File a Claim?

When you file a claim, the other party’s insurance company will surely investigate the claim. They will offer a settlement if they determine their insured is legally responsible for your injuries or damages. In some cases, the insurance company will not settle your claim until you sign a release for damages. A release means you agree that the amount offered is the only amount you will ever receive from the other driver and the insurance company.

Make sure you are ready to accept the final amount before you cash the check or sign the release for damages. However, you and the insurance company may readily agree on the amount of property damage, but you may not be ready to settle the bodily injury claim because of ongoing medical bills. An insurance company may not refuse to pay your agreed-upon property damage claim because the bodily injury claim is still outstanding.

How Many Repair Estimates Must I Submit?

The other insurance company may ask for several estimates. There is no law that states how many estimates you must submit or that limits the number the company may ask for.

Can I Choose My Own Repair Shop?

Yes, you are not required to use a repair shop suggested by the insurance company. However, if your repair shop charges more than the company’s suggested shop, you may have to pay the difference.

Can the Insurance Company deduct for things like unrepaired damage or rust?

Yes, The insurance company may deduct an unlimited amount from the value if your vehicle has old, unrepaired collision damage. They may also deduct an additional amount of up to $500.00 for wear and tear, missing parts, and rust. The company must itemize and specify the dollar amounts of those deductions.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here